Things You Don't Probably Know About Majek Fasek
After battling a long time illness, Nigerian music legend and reggae king Majekodunmi Fasheke, popularly called Majek Fashek, is dead. His death was confirmed by his manager, Omenka Uzoma, on the late singer’s official Instagram handle.
Nigerians and fans around the world have written tributes and expressed their sadness at the news. Here are few things to know about Majek the Rainmaker:
1. The guitarist started his professional music career in a band called Ja’stix. His band mates included Ras Kimono, Amos McRoy,Gregg, Sammy Sammama, Geogre Orwells and Black O'Rice.
2. After Majek’s parents separated, Fashek remained in Benin City with his mother and joined the choir in his local Aladura Church and learned to play the trumpet and guitar whilst composing songs for the choir.
3. In 1988, shortly after Jastix disbanded Fashek, he began a solo career by releasing the album Prisoner of Conscience and became Nigeria’s top reggae artist after the song Send Down The Rain became the most popular song of the year
4. His award-winning song ‘Send down the rain’ is one of his most popular tracks. The song gained him foreign attention in the 90s.
5. Fashek played a supporting role in the 2000 Nollywood movie Mark of the Beast and starred in a commercial for non-alcoholic beverage Diamant
6. In 2007, there were reports that Charles Novia was making a film about the singer.
7. In December 2016 Fashek contributed the song “We Are Not Afraid” to a video featuring 200 celebrities to raise funds for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and Human Rights Watch (HRW).